Apparently I can’t stand life without a major project sullying
my house. I made a point of finding a new
home in Washington that wouldn’t require TLC and to a point succeeded (it needs
a few paint touchups). Despite these efforts, I’ve fallen into a project (thankfully)
smaller than a house, but definitely bigger than a scrap book: my
great-grandmother’s piano.
It’s been sitting at my uncle’s house for some 30 years and
has hardly been touched, except by the dogs that gnawed on a few corners.
It was born in California (I’m still trying to find the
exact year), moved to Wyoming, then Colorado, and has made its way back to the
west coast and into my little living room. It’s at least 75 yrs. old.
It was a bit of a mess when we settled it in our new place. My first task was to clean the exterior, which I did with a little vinegar, olive oil, and all of my lemon essential oil. Dear mom, please send more.
Then, after watching a hundred YouTube videos and conferencing with my dad a few times, I took it apart.
 |
| Lift lid, unscrew music holder |
 |
| Loosen bolts and carefully lift action out |
 |
| Order hardware and don't lose any! |
 |
| Eight tiny screws to loosen the fall board |
 |
| No wonder these keys weren't working |
 |
| Wiggle each key out individually |
 |
| Keep them in order! |
And I thought the outside was dirty! So glad dad lent me his shop vac!
Bad news, though, I had the filter on wrong and it blew basically all of this dust/dirt/birdseed into my living room. Add a few days to clean up time.
 |
| Gross. I love my grandpa's birds, but they shouldn't eat and play piano at the same time! |
 |
| Three generations of dust, dirt, and skin cells! |
 |
| The knee board actually just snaps in |
 |
| Treasure! |
I took the action and the keys out to the garage to dust them off. Crazy! There are so many little parts in that action! And
so many little spaces that are still filthy—there was just no way to clean them
out.
Finally, a much cleaner piano:
But a much more dusty house!
No comments:
Post a Comment