Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kitchen Yet Again...

Well, our goal for this weekend was to completely finish off the kitchen and unpack the last 12 boxes for it. . . but we only unpacked two boxes and got just a few of the details taken care of. It’s still crazy to me how the littlest tasks can take hours and hours and hours.

For example:


This GFI outlet and I spent way too much quality time this weekend. It is the most awkward to reach—in the back corner over the counter. I can’t reach it while standing on the floor, so I have to sit on the counter. 

But, that’s just to reach the one side. To be able to see the other side, I have to lie on the counter and sink and try very hard not to drop debris or tools into my eyes…


I initially put the new white outlet in like two weeks ago. But, then it and the two other outlets on its circuit didn’t work. So, I messed with it and messed with it, and finally read the right blog that told me the difference between the “load” and the “line” wires for GFIs; apparently I had the “hot” and the “not-hot-yet” wires switched. Who knew…Anyway, it works now, although the plate is still not on. We just found an outlet insulator we want to install. Hopefully it will help keep the drafts out—which is great because our house is freezing. I’m a little nervous to see our next utility bill.

While GFI and I bonded, Jaron finished off the baseboards:






Jaron also replaced the insulation around dishwasher, and only had to use a little duct tape. J
Then, he replaced the old fluorescent light fixture (it was really ugly). We had looked at tons of fixtures to replace it and ended up buying a more modern one; still fluorescent, but decent looking (so we thought). When he finished, and we got the right bulbs, he flipped the light on and *BAM!* We were blind...And it was just about as ugly as the old one... So, we’re back to square one: looking for another light fixture. This time it will definitely not be fluorescent.  I don’t know why we ever thought that was a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment