Sunday, February 26, 2012

White Walls and a Brown Tub to Brown Walls and a White Tub

I'm so glad today is Sunday--my whole body aches from this weekend's project (and from the nice weather forcing me to get back into running after a six-month hiatus). But, let's go back to last weekend first, so you can get everything in chronological order. 
Last weekend Jaron was in WA D.C. for the Chiropractic Legislative Conference. He got to meet members from the ACA and lobby on capitol hill for increased legislative support of chiropractic. The first blog posts here are actually from that same trip last year. Such a fun trip!

While he was away, I tackled the bathroom walls. First, I had to patch a big hole in the wall by the sink. There must have been an in-the-wall cabinet there at one point, but we couldn't find one the right size to fit that whole, so we decided to patched it. 

I had to cut new drywall in a small square, trim the edges of the hole so I could access part of the the stud, wedge the new drywall into the hole, and screw it in. I did have to get a little creative on the two sides of the square that weren't up against the studs. I cut some strips of the old molding and screwed them to the existing drywall and then to the new stuff (middle picture). Hopefully it won't break if someone leans on it now. Hopefully. 
cp1_0216022021.jpg 0216022112.jpg

Patching the edges of that thing was annoying. It took forever to get he seams level and sanded and flush. arg. That really took up most of my weekend.  But, in the end I was able to get all the walls prepped and textured--thanks to daddy's hopper that he sent me! Thanks dad!

Then, I painted all the walls. I honestly can't remember if I did this sometime during the week, or if we actually took two weekends on the walls. Weird. I thought memory loss was just for old people ;) Apparently not!


nasty against the tub, huh?

This is the beige we argued over for weeks. 

Now, back to this weekend. We've not liked the tub from the start. If you think it looks nasty in the pictures above, you would have gagged at it when we first moved in. That thing got more scrubbing and sanitizing than it has ever been worth. And, it got even cleaner this weekend. Jaron and I thought we were going to have to bust it up into pieces to get it out through the bathroom doors and find a two-piece tub/shower set to install. 
But, we found a kit at Lowe's that claims it can make any old tub look brand new and bright white! :) So, we gave it a try. It's still drying right now, so we don't really know how well it worked, but it doesn't look too bad so far. But, oh man, did it take a lot of work! I had to wash the tub with the kit's special soap, rinse it off, dry it with paper towels, scour it with steel wool, then rinse and dry again THREE TIMES before I could put on the first coat of paint! It doesn't sound like it would take that long, but it's a lot of tub to cover when you include those shower walls. I couldn't start until 3:00 on Saturday, because I taught lessons in the morning. After scrubbing and painting and dry-time, I finished the second coat around midnight last night...ug. (then spoke in church and taught primary today) And as hard as the scrubbing was, the second coat was the worst because I couldn't lean on or touch any of part of the tub. The first coat was still a little sticky. So, needless to say, my back and arms are a little sore. I succeeded at balancing over every part of the tub except when I was reaching up to paint the top ledge, I lost my balance and my leg hit the front of the tub. Now there's a denim imprint front and center. I tried to fix it...but I only made it worse. Ug. Oh well. Hopefully no one will notice it (none of you are aloud to come stare at it)....and hopefully it doesn't bother Jaron to the point of redoing it.

This stuff stunk SO BADLY! The smell is still everyone in the house.

At least it's white and shiny!


While I worked on the tub, Jaron finished a few odds and ends in the kitchen; he set up our new table (!!!). He's only got two more chairs to put together before he's done...

He also put up that wainscoting and hung the latest (and final) light in the kitchen. I think this one is going to stay.


I'm thinking I used the wrong paint to fix the patches on the ceiling...


No comments:

Post a Comment